christmas background

May 5, 2011

My version of the chocolate eclair cake

I had seen a recipe for chocolate eclair cake on a blog about a month ago.  I wanted to make it but didn't have an event, and I don't need to make something this big for the four of us because the chances are good I will eat waaay more of it than I should. So, I have a clothes swap I am going to tomorrow and thought this was a good opportunity to try it out.  The recipe I saw called for a graham cracker crust.  Now, graham cracker does not say eclair to me so I wanted to swap that out with puff pastry. 



I laid it out on a cookie sheets and baked it

Here it is just out of the oven next to my vanilla "custard"

I pressed the pastry down with the back of a fork and then poured the vanilla pudding over it.  I used a large box of vanilla jello pudding (the cook version) but instead of milk I used half and half for a richer taste.  That's just how I roll.  :)

Then I baked up another two sheets of puff pastry, put them on top and pushed them down with the back of a fork.

Then I made a simple vanilla glaze (2 C powdered sugar, a pinch of salt, a splash of vanilla and 2-4 TBS of HOT water) and poured it over the top

Next the plan was to drizzle hershey's syrup over the top.  Buuut apparently those kids I live with used the last of it and didn't tell me.  No worries, I popped some hot fudge ice cream topping in the microwave for 30 sec then smeared it over the top. 
Now THAT's a giant chocolate eclair!


1 comment:

  1. OH. That looks AMAZING!!! Look at you--that was genius to use puff pastry, instead of graham cracker crust. I bet it was really yummy. I wouldn't know...since I'm just LOOKING AT IT on the computer. Sigh. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your happy thoughts, funny stories, and positive comments! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by....