christmas background

October 26, 2009

Christopher's Veggie Soup

Those of you who have been keeping up with the blog for a while, know that generally the people I live with (a.k.a. my kids) do not eat anything that looks like a vegetable.  However, this is one exception.  It is super easy, Christopher believes it is his creation, and it is a reliable way to get them to eat something that is good for them.

1 medium or 1/2 large onion finely chopped
3 yellow squash diced
1 can of diced tomatoes
4 carrots, diced
Potatoes, cut into chunks (I don't put a number on these because my family likes lots of potatoes and the number I need ends up varying based on the size of the spuds)
3 stalks of celery whole (my family won't eat celery so I toss it in whole for flavor then remove it)
1 lb of stew meat (I like the one that is finely cut so that I know the meat will be tender and I don't have to worry about Evan swallowing a chunk of meat)
Beef broth--about 6-8 cups---this will depend on the size of the pot you are using

Throw everything in together and simmer til veggies are soft and meat is cooked.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with corn bread or french bread.

Note:  We also sometimes add: chopped red bell pepper, kidney beans, corn, etc.  You can toss in any veggies you want.  Also, sometimes if we don't have potatoes and/or beef we switch out for chicken and/or noodles.  Doesn't matter, there are no hard and fast rules on this one.  Use what you like and season to taste--just be sure to call it Chris' veggie soup---even if he doesn't have anything to do with the cookin' he likes the title! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your happy thoughts, funny stories, and positive comments! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by....